Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Short ride ... trying accommodations...

We made it safely to Yellowstone...Yay! (I am still not completely on board with that spelling by the way...so Yeah!!!) FYI park admission by carload is $25 here. You can actually buy a national parks pass for $80/person but even though we have been to 3 now, we haven't hit the total for one person. That pass is good for a year but I don't see myself doing this again any time soon. I see myself in Florida in the fall if I am lucky.

This was our shortest ride so far but on the way in it started getting cold. We went from 70 in Idaho to 45 here. We were not prepared for cold weather. There are shorts in our bags for goodness sake. Needless to say we have already raided the gift shop. I have Yellowstone socks now.

There was hail along with the rain as we got inside the park. I think the theme of our trip is "rocks"... in all their many forms.

We are at the Old Faithful Inn - tomorrow we will get a geyser side room so that's good. I don't know what we expected - other than Internet service, which we don't have - but I don't think we are getting it. The room is COLD but has a radiator- someone please explain what that is to ShinyLegs. The hotel is older than I expected and the bellman told us to keep our bag of snacks up on the table.......not on the floor. WTH What does he expect will be on the floor? Don't tell me.

Dinner in the restaurant was good but a tad high...$20...which included tip for a cup of roasted red pepper and Gouda cheese soup and 2 trout cakes.

Oh, I haven't said anything about the park...too busy whining like the city girl I am. We stopped at the geysers that were on the way in...not a wow but a whoa when you realize you are on volcanic soil! The pools are lovely but also deadly. There are very nice wooden paths around them so you can get pretty close. R took the photo with his phone to try to capture one of the geysers.

There were bison - or are they buffalo ? - all over the road. They were literally standing in the middle of the road with cars stopped in both directions. Their horns - the animals not the cars - are no joke so you just have to wait them out.

For this time of year there is only 1 tour available and it starts at 545am. It is the "perfect picture" something something and will be on a vintage school bus. Guess who wants to go - hint: it's not really me but I can't come all this way to spend the day in a room with NO TV!

I hope you are enjoying the blog. I am doing as I was told because FootballMom told me I had to write every day so everyone at home would know we are still alive and well! We are and are none the worse for wear! I haven't even had to use the knife that OhioGay#2 found for me!

FYI I am down to about $100 in cash! KenyasGrandma was right that I should have brought a bit more. I should listen to her, she knows her stuff!

Ohhhh I almost forgot a highlight! We stopped for key chains in West Yellowstone, Montana (yes - new state) and there was a SCRAPBOOKING STORE right where we parked! $75 later... Woohoo!

We are loving and missing family, friends and dogs! Take care back there...

2 comments:

  1. I don't like Yeah... FYI ;) I'm SOOOO glad you found the scrapbook store, YAY!!!! Now you need to make sure to register for the retreat when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, though I haven't commented daily, I've at least checked your blog at some point every day. I saved it as a favorite to my phone so I can check for your posts to make sure you guys are alive. Glad to hear you are and that you're having fun on top of that. Love this picture, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

“Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.”— Gustave Flaubert